Oregon Children’s Choir and FUMC Safe Sanctuary, Safe Kids Policy
Updated June 2019
- All volunteers and staff in charge of children must have a background check that clears them to be with children.
- One adult and one child should never be alone together during any OCC activity.
- If there is no other adult available to be in the room with you, adults in charge and by themselves must be in an open-curtained, windowed room and checked up on by another adult regularly (custodian or other director or volunteer).
- Overnights: There must be at least 2 adults in charge and present.
- Adults driving in a car with children: There must be at least one other adult and/or youth that is 4 years older than the children with you.
- Elementary age children: Children should have a buddy to go to the restroom, or an adult should wait for them outside the restroom.
- Physical contact from adults to children should be limited to actions such as touch on the shoulder, side hugs, high fives and such.
- If any abuse or inappropriate conduct is suspected, adults in charge must report this immediately in writing to the OCC executive director and/or an FUMC supervisor.
- Online Safety: When contacting students through email, parents should be included on all communications. All online groups should invite all parents. Cell phone reminders should have parent or adult in leadership added in for teacher student communication. The Music Director should be included on all choir-specific group email communications.